Friday, January 20, 2012

Our Favorite Things

Whenever I say the words "favorite things" I instantly get all Julie Andrews and start singing this:


(Though, just as a side note, I did play the role of Brigitta in my high school production of The Sound of Music.  I think I sang maybe three lines and then had to twirl...that was it.  Impressive, huh?)

But, I digress.  As Adam and I were trying to plan for Valentine's Day (a day that I refer to as VD, which is often very misunderstood..snicker), it occurred to me that we are very ritualistic in the places that we go for special events, the things we wear, and the things we eat.  So I thought I'd share them with you, so that you can then frequently enjoy them obsessively, like we do.

1.  Oliver Winery in Bloomington.  This is hands down one of our all-time favorite places.  We went there for our first "real" date back in 2005 (whoa...that long ago?...hmmm).  I had never tasted wine been wine tasting, and I was trying SO HARD to impress Adam and act like I knew what I was doing.  We shared a bottle of blackberry wine (my now favorite, probably because of this day) on the hill behind the winery.  Even though it was the middle of November, it was warm enough for light jackets and sweatshirts.  We go there every October for our dating anniversary.  This just happens to be the place where Adam proposed. 
(Right after Adam proposed...You'll notice I've cropped the Purdue logo off the hoodie I'm wearing.  Another post for another day...)

2.  Kokoro in Lafayette.  We try to go to Kokoro for at least one birthday, our anniversary, or Valentine's Day each year.  The sushi rolls are huge.  It's expensive.  It's quite a drive for us just for dinner.  The chances are good that you or someone else is going to get yelled at by Crazy Tony.  The service can be lousy and take forever.  One time we sat there for 5 hours.  One time Crazy Tony thought we were from Germany (loooong story).  They don't take reservations.  And you never know when they're going to be closed for long periods of time.  But it's worth it.  I promise. 

3.  Ugly Bootie Slippers:  Ours are from Brookstone.  They are ugly, I will give you that.  But they are oh, so gloriously warm. 


4.  Huevos Rancheros:  We just had these for dinner the other night, so they are fresh in my mind.  We have a recipe somewhere, but who needs recipes, really?  You fry a tortilla (you can use flour or corn--we like the smaller corn tortillas), and then you spread refried beans on top of it.  Put a fried egg on top of that.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Heat in the oven until the cheese melts.  Voila!  You can put onions or salsa or guacamole or whatever you want on top of it.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment