Friday, February 24, 2012

If We Only Had More...

The day after the Super Bowl, I came across an interesting interaction on Facebook.  It all started with this.  Someone posted something to the effect of, "Did we seriously just give a guy who gets paid $2 million a game plus (about $15 million a year on endorsements) a new car?"  For real?  (Whhhyyy?  Anyone know how much that car cost?  $72,000.  I just threw up a little.)

In response to the above post that someone put on Facebook, someone commented and said that, last year, he spent $200,000 on vehicles and his wife spent $4,000 on shoes.

We live in a country where our priorities are JACKED UP! 

Last year, the pastor at our church gave a great sermon that basically came down to the point that we all feel like we would DO more, BE more, HELP more if we only HAD more.  No.  No.  NO!  God wants to know what we're doing with what we've got.  With what we've been given.  Why would He (or anyone, really?) choose to bless us with more if we are foolishly squandering what we've already been given?!

I'm going to just do some quick calculations based on the $72,000 cost of the car that Mr. Manning got.  Mostly because I'm not good at "big math" and I'm not sure that I can face the results of what I'm about to tell you.

With $72,000, we could...

Build 12 wells to provide fresh water to people in Zambia
Build 24 wells to provide fresh water to folks in Haiti


Buy 4500 chickens for families (thus providing meat and eggs)


Buy 720 cows for families (providing meat and milk)



 Provide formula to 300 babies for one year



Buy 7200 mosquito nets, to help prevent malaria


Provide 1384 children with vaccinations up to age 5


I could go on and on and on.  With tears streaming down my face.  And guilt in my heart.  And, I know, some of you will say, "Yeah, that's great.  But I don't have $72,000."  Yeah.  Me neither.


But how many times have I purchased a $4 cup of coffee?
How much does it cost to get my hair highlighted?
How much have we spent on a "nice" dinner out?

WHAT ARE WE DOING?!!

This week, I encourage you to take a close look at your priorities.  Where are you spending your time, your money, and your attention?  We could all do more.  With what we already have.





No comments:

Post a Comment